A study showed that almost 70% of insureds have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and nearly half have never compared auto insurance rates at all. With the average premium in California being $1,387, drivers can save about $500 each year by just comparing rate quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much they could save if they just switched companies.
Truthfully, the best way to find affordable car insurance rates is to compare prices regularly from companies that sell auto insurance in Chula Vista. You can shop around by following these steps.
- Step 1: Try to comprehend how companies set rates and the measures you can control to lower rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like traffic tickets, fender benders, and an imperfect credit history can be remedied by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes.
- Step 2: Get rate quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing policy to see if cheaper Prius coverage is available in Chula Vista. If you can save money and switch companies, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
The key thing to know about shopping around is that you use the same deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to get price quotes from as many auto insurance providers as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and a complete selection of prices.
Shopping around for the best auto insurance coverage in Chula Vista is not that difficult. If you already have coverage or are just looking to switch companies, use these tips to get lower rates without reducing protection. Smart buyers just need to use the best way to get comparison quotes online.
The quickest method to compare car insurance company rates for Toyota Prius insurance in Chula Vista utilizes the fact most of the larger companies will pay a fee to compare their rates. The only thing you need to do is give the companies some data like whether the vehicles are used for commuting, whether you have decent credit, which vehicles you own, and your occupation. Your details gets sent immediately to multiple auto insurance providers and they respond with quotes very quickly.
If you wish to get multiple quotes for your car now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Chula Vista.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide price quotes in California. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Chula Vista, we recommend you visit two to three different companies in order to get a fair rate comparison.
These ten discounts can lower your insurance quotes
Auto insurance companies do not advertise every possible discount very clearly, so the list below gives a summary of some of the best known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to bring down your rates.
- Own a Home and Save – Owning a home in Chula Vista can save a few bucks because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few companies allow discounts for signing up early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Student in College – Kids who live away from home to go to college and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Multi-policy Discount – When you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could earn a discount of 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off but check with your company.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Senior Citizens – Older drivers could receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles may allow you to get slightly better insurance rates than normal.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but some companies like GEICO and Allstate permit an accident before your rates go up if you have no claims before the accident.
Policy discounts save money, but most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, that’s just not realistic.
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Toyota Prius insurance rates with and without discounts. Data assumes a male driver, a clean driving record, no claims, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, marriage, claim-free, homeowner, multi-car, and multi-policy discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and their possible discounts can be read below.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, good student, online signing, online quote discount, multi-policy, and continuous coverage.
- AAA may offer discounts for AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good driver, multi-policy, anti-theft, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include homeowner, early shopping, pay in full, multi-car, switch companies, and youthful driver.
- GEICO includes discounts for multi-policy, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, seat belt use, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft, and membership and employees.
- Esurance discounts include Switch & Save, good student, online quote, good driver, claim free, online shopper, and renters.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for safe driver, homeowner, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, anti-lock brakes, and teen safety rewards.
- State Farm offers discounts including multiple policy, anti-theft, safe vehicle, passive restraint, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, and good student.
Check with all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Some credits may not be offered in Chula Vista. To choose insurers who offer online Toyota Prius insurance quotes in Chula Vista, click here.
Insurance statistics and figures
The price information displayed below outlines detailed analysis of rate quotes for Toyota Prius models. Learning more about how auto insurance premiums are figured can be valuable when making smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, and safe-driver. Rates do not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase insurance rates considerably.
Rate increases following a ticket or accident
The diagram below shows how speeding tickets and accident claims can increase Toyota Prius auto insurance costs for different age groups. The price estimates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Toyota Prius insurance rates by gender
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Prius annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on no claims or violations, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Rate difference between full and liability-only coverage
The diagram below shows the comparison of Toyota Prius annual premium costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premiums are based on no claims or driving citations, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There isn’t a steadfast formula for phasing out comp and collision coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let’s pretend your Toyota Prius book value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, you would only receive $4,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying more than $400 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not a good plan. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
Insurance agents near you
A lot of people would rather buy from a local agent and that is just fine! Most agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get the best rates but also keep your business local. Buying insurance from local insurance agents is important particularly in Chula Vista.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is emailed to local insurance agents in Chula Vista who want to provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, you just need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
The type of car insurance agent you choose is important
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Auto insurance agents can be described as either independent agents or exclusive agents. Either can sell auto insurance policies, but it’s important to point out the difference between them since it may influence the kind of agent you use.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent can sell policies from many different companies so they can write business with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparing rates, you absolutely need to get several quotes from independent agents to get the best comparison. Many can place coverage with less well-known companies that may provide cheaper auto insurance rates.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Chula Vista who can help you get free auto insurance rate quotes.
- American Tri-Star Insurance Services
401 H St #10 – Chula Vista, CA 91910 – (619) 827-0522 – View Map
- Garrison Insurance Agency, Inc
553 Telegraph Canyon Rd – Chula Vista, CA 91910 – (800) 701-5909 – View Map
- Eastlake Insurance Services
884 Eastlake Pkwy # 1626 – Chula Vista, CA 91914 – (619) 216-6100 – View Map
These type of agents can only write with one company and examples are Farmers Insurance, State Farm, Allstate, and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to compare other company’s rates so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on sales techniques which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some people will only use the same exclusive agent partially due to the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
Listed below are Chula Vista exclusive agents who can help you get price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance: Jorge Zayas
1750 E Palomar St Ste 5 – Chula Vista, CA 91913 – (619) 656-8828 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance Group, Julio V. Vega
541 H St – Chula Vista, CA 91910 – (619) 426-0554 – View Map
- Bruce Anderson – State Farm Insurance Agent
871 Harold Pl #109 – Chula Vista, CA 91914 – (619) 422-3333 – View Map
Picking the best auto insurance agent should depend on more than just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- How are claims handled?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
When to get professional advice
When quoting and choosing the right insurance coverage, there really isn’t a one-size-fits-all type of policy. Your needs are unique to you and your auto insurance should unique, too.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether you could use an agent’s help.
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Are all vehicle passengers covered by medical payments coverage?
- I have a DUI can I still get coverage?
- Is my custom stereo system covered?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my Toyota Prius to commute?
- Am I covered if my car is in a flood?
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
Chula Vista auto insurance company ratings
Selecting the best car insurance company is difficult considering how many companies sell insurance in California. The ranking information below may help you select which car insurance companies to look at shopping prices with.
Top 10 Chula Vista Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
Top 10 Chula Vista Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- American Family
- The Hartford
- AAA of Southern California
- Titan Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- Mercury Insurance
Auto insurance coverages
Having a good grasp of insurance can help you determine which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are typical coverage types found on the average insurance policy.
Collision coverage – This coverage pays for damage to your Prius resulting from a collision with another car or object. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things such as rolling your car, colliding with another moving vehicle and hitting a parking meter. This coverage can be expensive, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Another option is to raise the deductible on your Prius to get cheaper collision coverage.
Comprehensive coverage (or Other than Collision) – Comprehensive insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You need to pay your deductible first and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like theft, a broken windshield, fire damage, hitting a deer and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum payout a insurance company will pay at claim time is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Auto liability insurance – This coverage will cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people in an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show policy limits of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property. Another option is a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for claims like loss of income, medical expenses, pain and suffering and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but it’s recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why buying minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Insurance for medical payments – Med pay and PIP coverage pay for expenses for nursing services, doctor visits and ambulance fees. They can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants and also covers being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist insurance – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Toyota Prius.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/5 in California), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Cheaper auto insurance premiums are possible
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how to lower your Toyota Prius insurance rates in Chula Vista. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest rates come from an unexpected company. These smaller insurers can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
When you buy Chula Vista auto insurance online, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many cases where someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to find out that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
For more information, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for a Ford F-150 in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)