We don’t have to tell you that insurance companies don’t want you to look for a cheaper policy. Consumers who shop around annually will presumably switch auto insurance companies because they stand a good chance of finding a more affordable policy. A recent survey discovered that people who compared price quotes annually saved about $3,400 over four years compared to people who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding the most affordable auto insurance is why you’re here, then understanding how to shop for auto insurance can help make the process easier and more efficient.
To save the most money, the best way to get discount auto insurance rates is to compare prices annually from providers in Chula Vista. You can compare prices by following these steps.
Step 1: Try to learn about the coverage provided by your policy and the changes you can make to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a less-than-favorable credit rating can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Later in this article we will cover instructions to prevent high prices and find hidden discounts.
Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Step 4: Give proper notification to your current agent or company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit payment and a signed application to your new carrier. When you receive it, put the certificate of insurance along with your vehicle registration.
One key aspect of rate comparisons is to make sure you’re comparing similar limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. This ensures a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
If you have a policy now or are just looking to switch companies, you can learn to find the best rates without having to cut coverage. Quoting and buying affordable policy in Chula Vista is not as hard as you may think. Comparison shoppers just have to understand the best way to get comparison rates from many different companies.
Do you qualify for discounts on Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Chula Vista?
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so the following list contains a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that you may qualify for. If you aren’t receiving every discount available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Accident Free – Chula Vista drivers who stay claim-free pay less in comparison to frequent claim filers.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Military Rewards – Having an actively deployed family member can result in better rates.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- College Student – Children who live away from home at college and do not take a car to college may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Club Memberships – Belonging to certain professional organizations could trigger savings on your next insurance statement.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
Please keep in mind that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic. Any qualifying discounts should help lower the amount you pay for coverage.
Large insurance companies and their possible discounts include:
- State Farm may offer discounts for Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, good driver, accident-free, and driver’s education.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for teen driver, bundle discounts, early shopping, distant student, and electronic funds transfer.
- GEICO offers discounts including military active duty, anti-theft, membership and employees, air bags, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, and defensive driver.
- American Family offers premium reductions for good student, accident-free, bundled insurance, mySafetyValet, and multi-vehicle.
- Nationwide policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driving, business or organization, easy pay, good student, accident-free, and anti-theft.
- Progressive has savings for homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, online signing, and online quote discount.
If you are trying to find low cost Chula Vista auto insurance quotes, ask each company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts might not apply in Chula Vista. To view companies that offer some of these discounts in Chula Vista, click here to view.
Having a good grasp of your insurance policy aids in choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be ambiguous and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – This gives you protection when the “other guys” either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries as well as damage to your Volkswagen Atlas.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5 in California), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally the UM/UIM limits are set the same as your liability limits.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for short-term medical expenses for nursing services, prosthetic devices, ambulance fees, funeral costs and surgery. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Comprehensive coverage – This coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hail damage, a broken windshield and damage from getting keyed. The maximum payout your insurance company will pay is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Liability auto insurance – Liability insurance can cover damages or injuries you inflict on other’s property or people that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers things like legal defense fees, repair costs for stationary objects and medical services. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but consider buying as large an amount as possible. California requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should consider buying better liability coverage.
The chart below shows why the minimum limit may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Collision coverage – Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision can pay for claims like colliding with a tree, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so consider removing coverage from older vehicles. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your Atlas to bring the cost down.
Chula Vista auto insurance companies
Buying coverage from a good quality car insurance provider is hard considering how many different companies insure vehicles in California. The rank data shown below can help you choose which providers you want to consider putting your business with.
Top 10 Chula Vista Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
Top 10 Chula Vista Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- AAA Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
- Titan Insurance
- The Hartford
Cover all your bases
When buying insurance coverage, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that they should have had better coverage. Your goal is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Throughout this article, we presented many ideas to shop for Volkswagen Atlas insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest rates are with a smaller regional carrier.
Insureds who switch companies do it for many reasons like delays in paying claims, poor customer service, delays in responding to claim requests and even unfair underwriting practices. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding a new auto insurance company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
Additional detailed information can be read in these articles:
- Frontal Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Escape in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for Immigrants in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Chula Vista Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Ford Fusion in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)
- Rental Car Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)