It’s hard to fathom, but the majority of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never shopped around. With the average auto insurance premium being $1,847, American drivers could save up to $859 a year just by comparing rates, but they think it’s difficult to compare rate quotes.
The best way to find better pricing on GMC Canyon insurance in Chula Vista is to regularly compare prices from insurance carriers who provide auto insurance in California.
- Try to learn a little about how auto insurance works and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that result in higher prices like high-risk driving behaviors and poor credit history can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle. Continue reading for more details to help reduce prices and find hidden discounts.
- Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can quote rates for many different companies.
- Compare the quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
- Tell your current company to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application for the new policy. When you receive it, place your new proof of insurance paperwork along with your vehicle registration.
An important part of this process is that you use identical coverage information on every price quote and and to analyze every insurance company. This enables an apples-to-apples comparison and a better comparison of the market.
Cheap GMC insurance rates in Chula Vista
The auto insurance companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Chula Vista, CA. To locate the best cheap car insurance in Chula Vista, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies in order to find the most affordable rates.
GMC Canyon insurance analysis
The information displayed below showcases estimates of insurance rates for GMC Canyon models. Having insight into how insurance prices are calculated can help you make informed decisions when comparing rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$284||$554||$500||$30||$150||$1,518||$127|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 2WD||$284||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,636||$136|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 2WD||$284||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,636||$136|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$284||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,636||$136|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$326||$554||$500||$30||$150||$1,560||$130|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 2WD||$326||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,678||$140|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 2WD||$326||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,678||$140|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 4WD||$326||$554||$500||$30||$150||$1,560||$130|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$326||$792||$500||$30||$150||$1,798||$150|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4WD||$326||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,678||$140|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 4WD||$370||$672||$500||$30||$150||$1,722||$144|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, multi-policy, safe-driver, homeowner, and claim-free. Rates do not factor in vehicle location which can decrease or increase coverage prices greatly.
Age, gender, and GMC Canyon insurance
The illustration below illustrates the difference between GMC Canyon insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premium estimates are based on no tickets, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $500 deductibles, marital status is single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Full coverage versus liability-only
The illustration below shows the difference between GMC Canyon insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premium estimates are based on no violations or accidents, $250 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Should you be buying full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline to drop comp and collision coverage, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your GMC Canyon book value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying more than $300 a year for physical damage coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not buy liability only.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for GMC Canyon insurance in Chula Vista
Some companies don’t necessarily list every discount very well, so the following list contains both the well known as well as some of the hidden credits available to bring down your rates. If you don’t get every credit available, you could be saving more on your auto insurance.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class in school.
- Pay Early and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course teaching safe driver skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts until age 25.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you have multiple policies and place coverage with the same company you could get a discount of approximately 10% to 15%.
- Multiple Cars – Having multiple cars or trucks on a single policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Sign Early and Save – A few insurance companies allow discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. You may see this discount when you get Chula Vista auto insurance quotes online.
Keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, that’s just not realistic. Any qualifying discounts should help reduce the cost of coverage.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of GMC Canyon auto insurance costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. The price estimates are based on a male driver, no accidents or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, safe-driver, marriage, multi-policy, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
A list of companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are shown below.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for pay in full, mature driver, homeowner, early shopping, electronic funds transfer, and distant student.
- Esurance has savings for online shopper, safety device, online quote, multi-car, and paid-in-full.
- State Farm includes discounts for good driver, driver’s education, passive restraint, multiple autos, Drive Safe & Save, and multiple policy.
- GEICO may have discounts that include federal employee, emergency military deployment, military active duty, seat belt use, five-year accident-free, and air bags.
- Allstate may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, multi-policy, passive restraint, 55 and retired, new car, and anti-theft.
Before you buy a policy, ask each insurance company to apply every possible discount. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policyholders in your state. To see insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in California, click here to view.
Insurance agents are trained to help
A lot of people would rather buy from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move Good insurance agents are trained risk managers and will help you if you have claims. A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is that you can obtain better rates and still choose a local agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to companies in Chula Vista that give free quotes to get your business. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent immediately to your email address. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, don’t hesitate to jump over to their website and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on a provider needs to be determined by more than just the price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Are they full-time agents?
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Chula Vista?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Can you get a list of referrals?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
The different types of car insurance agents
If you would like to find a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Insurance agencies in Chula Vista are classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either type can insure your vehicles properly, but we need to point out the difference between them because it can factor into which agent you choose.
Exclusive agencies can only provide pricing for a single company and examples are Farmers Insurance and State Farm. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they really need to provide good service. They are trained well on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below are exclusive agents in Chula Vista that are able to give comparison quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies do not sell for just one brand so they can insure your vehicles with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies which requires no work on your part.
When comparing insurance rates, you need to get insurance quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Below is a short list of independent agencies in Chula Vista who can help you get comparison quotes.
California auto insurance company ratings
Insuring your vehicle with the top insurer can be challenging considering how many different companies insure vehicles in California. The ranking information in the next section can help you analyze which car insurance companies you want to consider comparing prices from.
Top 10 Chula Vista Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Service
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- The General
- AAA Insurance
- American Family
Top 10 Chula Vista Car Insurance Companies Overall
- American Family
- AAA of Southern California
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- AAA Insurance
- The General
- Titan Insurance
Auto insurance coverage specifics
Learning about specific coverages of a auto insurance policy can be of help when determining appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Below you’ll find typical coverage types available from auto insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – This coverage provides protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for injuries to you and your family and damage to your GMC Canyon.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (California limits are 15/30/5), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Comprehensive insurance – Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as hitting a bird, damage from a tornado or hurricane, fire damage, falling objects and damage from flooding. The maximum payout a auto insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if your deductible is as high as the vehicle’s value consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision coverage – This coverage covers damage to your Canyon resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, sideswiping another vehicle and colliding with a tree. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Canyon to bring the cost down.
Liability coverages – This coverage can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have policy limits of 15/30/5 that translate to a limit of $15,000 per injured person, a total of $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $5,000.
Liability insurance covers claims like emergency aid, repair costs for stationary objects, loss of income and legal defense fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a personal decision, but consider buying as much as you can afford. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but drivers should carry more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why minimum state limits may not be adequate coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for bills like nursing services, pain medications and hospital visits. They are utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Do the work, save more money
Discount GMC Canyon insurance in Chula Vista can be found on the web as well as from insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who may not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these regional carriers prefer to sell through independent agents.
As you quote Chula Vista auto insurance, it’s not a good idea to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, drivers have reduced comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Teen Driving and Texting (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Highlander in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Chula Vista Auto Insurance for a Jeep Wrangler? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 25 in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Chula Vista Car Insurance for a School Permit? (FAQ)
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)