Astonishing but true according to a recent study, over 70% of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for well over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never quoted rates to find lower-cost coverage. Many consumers in Chula Vista could pocket approximately 35% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they won’t spend time to shop around.
The easiest way to get discount Volvo S40 insurance in Chula Vista is to start comparing prices yearly from different companies in California. Drivers can shop around by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Read and learn about car insurance and the things you can control to keep rates low. Many risk factors that drive up the price like traffic violations and poor credit can be remedied by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Quote rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save money, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Tell your current agent or company of your decision to cancel your current auto insurance policy. Submit payment and a signed application to the newly selected company. As soon as you have the new policy, store the certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
The key aspect of shopping around is to compare the same amount of coverage on every price quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. This enables an accurate price comparison and a complete price analysis.
Cheap Volvo S40 insurance in Chula Vista
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you may be missing some discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Many discounts should be triggered at quote time, but some need to be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Cautious Driver Discounts – Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
- College Student Discount – Youth drivers who attend college more than 100 miles from Chula Vista and don’t have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Early Renewal Discounts – Some companies provide a discount for buying a policy before your current S40 insurance policy expires. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle up can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Mature Driver Discount – Older drivers are able to get a small discount on rates.
- Student Driver Training – Require your teen driver to take driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
You can save money using discounts, but most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that it’s possible to get free car insurance, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
The information below shows the comparison of Volvo S40 auto insurance costs with and without some available policy discounts. The premiums are based on a male driver, no accidents or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-car discounts applied.
The best insurance companies and the discounts they provide are included below.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for driver’s education, multiple autos, good student, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, passive restraint, and student away at school.
- GEICO has savings for anti-theft, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, defensive driver, five-year accident-free, and driver training.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including newly retired, good student, teen driver discount, new graduate, and multi-car.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include good student, bundle, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, air bag, and driver training.
- MetLife discounts include multi-policy, claim-free, accident-free, good student, defensive driver, and good driver.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, online signing, and continuous coverage.
When getting a coverage quote, ask all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Discounts might not be offered on policies in Chula Vista. For a list of companies with discount insurance rates in California, follow this link.
How to compare Volvo S40 insurance quotes in Chula Vista, California
Finding more affordable Chula Vista insurance prices is actually easier than you may think. You just have to spend a few minutes on the computer comparing rate quotes from different insurance companies.
The companies in the list below have been selected to offer quotes in California. In order to find cheap car insurance in Chula Vista, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Volvo S40 insurance rates and statistics
The premium table shown next outlines a range of coverage costs for Volvo S40 models. Having a better understanding of how car insurance premiums are calculated can help drivers make smart choices when purchasing an insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|S40 T5 AWD R-Design||$370||$766||$574||$34||$172||$1,916||$160|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in garaging location in Chula Vista which can affect price quotes greatly.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The example below demonstrates how citations and accidents can impact Volvo S40 car insurance rates for each different age group. The data is based on a married male driver, full coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Does full coverage make sense?
The diagram below shows the difference between Volvo S40 insurance prices when comparing full coverage to liability only. The data is based on no accidents or driving violations, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no definitive guideline of when to stop paying for physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Volvo S40 replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would receive is $6,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are currently paying more than $600 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some scenarios where only buying liability is not in your best interest. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to maintain full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Car insurance can get complicated
When quoting and choosing coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there really isn’t a cookie cutter policy. Your financial needs are unique so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions might point out whether you would benefit from professional advice.
- If my pet gets injured in an accident are they covered?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Why do I have to buy liability insurance?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Is business equipment covered while in my vehicle?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Buying auto insurance from Chula Vista insurance agencies
Many people just want to talk to an insurance agent and that is just fine! Licensed agents can point out coverage gaps and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying insurance from local insurance agents is important particularly in Chula Vista.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to local insurance agents that can give you free Chula Vista auto insurance quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent instantly to you. If you need to compare rates from a specific insurance company, just find their quoting web page and submit a quote form there.
If you want to buy auto insurance from a local Chula Vista insurance agency, you should know the different agency structures and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agencies in Chula Vista can be categorized as either independent or exclusive. Both sell affordable auto insurance policies, but it is important to understand how they are different because it can impact the selection process.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and find the cheapest rate. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent.
When comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you include rate quotes from independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Most independent agents also contract with less well-known companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
The following is a small list of independent agencies in Chula Vista that may be able to give you rate quotes.
- Robert Osorio Insurance
513 Windy Way – Chula Vista, CA 91914 – (619) 216-0991 – View Map
- Penagos Insurance
1680 Broadway – Chula Vista, CA 91911 – (619) 691-1071 – View Map
- Areli’s Insurance Services
1010 Broadway #7 – Chula Vista, CA 91911 – (619) 409-1690 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents in the exclusive channel generally can only insure with one company such as State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are well trained in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents. A lot of people buy from exclusive agents mostly because of the brand name and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Chula Vista that are able to give rate quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: Barry L. St. Onge
651 3rd Ave a – Chula Vista, CA 91910 – (619) 426-7885 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Donald Sewell
355 3rd Ave B – Chula Vista, CA 91910 – (619) 425-5370 – View Map
- Farmers Insurance – Francisco Moreno
2471 Main St #19 – Chula Vista, CA 91911 – (619) 476-1066 – View Map
Choosing the best car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the price. Before buying a policy in Chula Vista, get answers to these questions.
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- How often do they review coverages?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
Why you need to buy insurance
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Volvo S40 in Chula Vista, insurance is required for several reasons.
- Most states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it’s most likely the lender will have a requirement that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Volvo at a more expensive rate and force you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your Volvo S40 but also your assets. It will also cover all forms of medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to restore your vehicle to like-new condition.
The benefits of insuring your car more than offset the price you pay, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer overpays more than $820 a year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
Insurance coverages 101
Learning about specific coverages of your insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. These are typical coverage types available from insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This gives you protection from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants and damage to your Volvo S40.
Because many people carry very low liability coverage limits (15/30/5 in California), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is very important. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for expenses for hospital visits, doctor visits and dental work. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Liability car insurance
This can cover damage that occurs to other’s property or people. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have limits of 15/30/5 which means $15,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $30,000, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage pays for things like loss of income, medical expenses, funeral expenses, medical services and court costs. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. California state law requires minimum liability limits of 15/30/5 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The chart below demonstrates why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
This coverage will pay to fix damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You first have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against claims like damage from getting keyed, rock chips in glass, falling objects and hitting a deer. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from colliding with an object or car. You will need to pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision insurance covers things like backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle, hitting a mailbox and colliding with another moving vehicle. This coverage can be expensive, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your S40 to save money on collision insurance.
More effort can pay off
We just presented a lot of information how to compare Volvo S40 insurance prices in Chula Vista. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding inexpensive Chula Vista auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest prices are with an unexpected company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
When getting Chula Vista auto insurance quotes online, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your goal is to find the BEST coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Much more information about insurance in California is available below:
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Teachers in Chula Vista? (FAQ)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driver Licensing Information (iihs.org)
- Insurance losses by make and model (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)